Manage Your Certificate
Pay Premium
About the PLIT
Get A Quote
Report a Claim
Loss Control & Risk Management
Communications Presentations
Contact Us
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions

AVMA Tagline
> Practice Owners > Employed Veterinarians > Office Managers > Mobile Practitioners > Emergency Clinics > Students > Associations


The PLIT cares about the future of veterinary medicine. We recognize that veterinary students, as an integral part of the that future, will be guiding veterinary medicine. To help you prepare and protect your future, check out these insurance solutions and resources.

 Student Liability (Malpractice)

Female vet

You have enough to concentrate on in school—your clinical experiences should be an exciting time filled with new challenges. Whether you are in an externship, preceptorship, working part-time or as a volunteer, the PLIT provides professional liability protection for students that have a sponsoring veterinarian. For only $10, you can secure the same amount of coverage as purchased by your sponsoring veterinarian*. And, the AVMA PLIT will pay for subsequent student applications during the same calendar year after the $10 fee has been paid. An application needs to be completed and eligibility requirements met prior to each clinical experience. Click here to download the application.

* Sponsoring veterinarian must have professional liability coverage through the AVMA PLIT.

Survival Guide

Student Survival Guide thumbnail

Download your free copy of the AVMA PLIT's Student's Veterinary Malpractice Survival Guide.
College Visits Schedule
calendar Don't miss these upcoming events at your campus.
Student Ambassadors
Risky Profile for web Find out who is the PLIT ambassador at your school.
Student AVMA
SAVMA logo  AVMA PLIT is a strong supporter of the Student AVMA. For more information on what the Student AVMA can do for you click their logo in the left column.
Personal Insurance  

A Message from Liberty Mutual Insurance

Liberty Mutual has partnered with the PLIT to offer AVMA student members exclusive savings on quality auto and home/renters insurance.*

If you rent your apartment, house, or condo, you probably need insurance. Remember, your landlord isn't responsible for your belongings, or if you need to find another place to live, or any personal liability you may face if someone is injured in your home. Renters Insurance covers your valuables—such as TV, laptop, and cell phone—for theft or damage at home, in your car or on the go.

Call 855-748-2146 or visit Liberty Mutual to learn more or get a free quote.

*Discounts and savings are available where state laws and regulations allow, and may vary by state. To the extent permitted by law, applicants are individually underwritten; not all applicants may qualify.